Foot reflexology is a “pressure therapy” that involves applying focused pressure to certain known reflex points located in the foot to cure or prevent disease. It is a complimentary therapy, intended for use alongside conventional medical care and not as a replacement of it.
According to the book The Touch of Love, Thai Massage (written by Sombat Tapanya), massage is an art of healing originated some 5,000 years ago. It was mentioned in an ancient Chinese medical textbook in the reign of Emperor Wendi (179-157 B.C.) of the Han Dynasty and in an Indian Ayuraveda Book that “Massage is a self-healing method.” According to Chinese medicine, the sensory nerves of the internal organs that spread throughout the body are mainly gathered around the soles of the feet.
Among the benefits of foot reflexology includes:
- Induces a state of deep relaxation by opening neural pathways
- A reflexology session stimulates more than 7,000 nerves, encouraging the opening and cleansing of neural pathways
- Effective for pain management. When reflexology is applied to the feet, more endorphins are produced to block pain signals to the brain. Endorphins are painkillers that are stronger than morphine. People who are experiencing pain may get significant relief through reflexology.
- Increases circulation, improving blood flow throughout the body
- Cleanses the body of toxins and impurities
- Stimulates the central nervous system
- Stimulates energy work throughout the body
- Balances the whole system thus revitalizing the body’s natural energy flow
The benefits of a foot reflexology session are manifold. It is appropriate for all ages as well as for a variety of ailments. Not only soothing to sore feet, it can benefit most other body aches and pains. If you can’t handle pressure in a part of your body because of soreness or inflammation, there is a corresponding part in the foot that can bring relief.
The healing power of touch is instinctive in human nature & when we formalize that instinctive touch into massage, it becomes a powerful healing tool.